Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sat Jan 12 07:19:31 2008

I asked Jessica Dimmock, specifically about the "Ninth Floor" project.

Her response, "hello, thank you for taking the time to ask me about
this. i do not pose pictures ever. i ask that people that i
photograph do what they would do and do not place y subjects. there
are rare situations in assignment work when this changes slightly if
a magazine needs a portrait but in personal projects i do not pose
people. please let me know if you have any other questions. all best,
jessica"

For reference, here's my post to her:
Good afternoon Jessica,
A number of photographers, over on the Leica User Group email list
<http://leica-users.org/mailman/listinfo/lug>, find themselves
discussing your work. More specifically "The Ninth Floor." A number
of members believe the work to have a "posed" quality about it. I
personally have described it as taking a "gonzo," interactive approach.
I'd very much appreciate knowing if you consider this portfolio as
"pure" documentary photography, "posed" or "set up," (one veteran
photo journalist described it as, "a kind of illustration shoot for a
magazine article.") or some combination thereof.
Thank you for considering a reply,

Fond regards,
George
george@imagist.com