Subject: [Leica] When in doubt ask photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jan 13 13:28:32 2008

> If you walk into a convenience store in West Monroe, Louisiana wearing
> Birkenstocks and shorts, the crowd in there will react much differently
> than
> if you come in wearing muddy Cammo overalls.
>
> That's very different from entering a surgery suite with Doctors you have
> established a relationship with over many weeks.   Also different from a
> home in Honduras where you've joined a family for daily activities and
> operate in a fly on the wall mode.
>
> I've spent time in both surgical suites and tiny huts in rural Honduras,
> and
> I believe my resulting photography was  truthful;  but I'd bet that the
> dynamics of both places  operate  differently without  us there.
>

> Sonny

This reminds me of my big new "trick" which for months I've forgotten to
post to the LUG.
Crossing the country slowly in the last half of '06 in my Van to move here
on the Right coast I went into a Wal-Mart and found a rack of  Puritan brand
Hawaiian style shirts
Which I don't wear.
Nor to  I normally go into a Wal-Mart but these are trying times there was a
heat wave and the motels either didn't have washers and dryers  or I was
took beat to use them.
And these were very dark shirts.
Very low priced.
And cheap.
Costing very few dollars.
And 100% Rayon
My favorite synthetic fiber as its made from "wood".
Which comes from tree's.
One of my favorite unnatural entities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

It was so comfortable and I felt so much like a million bucks (green and
wrinkled) that a state east later I went into another Wal-Mart and got other
one this one from a circular rack on sale with red flecks in it instead of
green. That one worked too & this processs rinse & repeated state by state.
Circular rack on sale by circular rack on sale.

WHAT I found out is that wearing these shirts when taking pictures people
were much less likely to afterward cross the street and punch me in the face
than if I wore a tee-shirt. Or other kinds of solid colored shirts.

I think the reason has to do with Hawaiian style shirts being the unofficial
uniform of mindless tourists. So you have a license to shoot whatever you
want.

Trouble is now its winter so if you wear a Hawaiian style you are not in the
"mindless tourist" category but "nutcase" catagory.
Which also may give you lots of leeway but my arms get itchy against my wool
coat when I wear short sleeves so I'm sticking to long sleeves.
And there's no such thing as a long sleeve Hawaiian style shirt.
Made of regenerated cellulose fiber or anything else.

Sent from my Very Lint-free Bellybutton

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com