Subject: [Leica] Steve Unsworth PAW - Week 52
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jan 14 22:10:39 2008

This PAW is very interesting for several reasons--obviously the
pictures, which are excellent. I think I share Michiel's preferences
for the images of the riverbank and the letterboxes.

But it also illustrates the changes that have happened in Europe in
the past 15 years. Here is a guy in the UK, being bored after
Christmas, and deciding to take a short trip to the other side of
Europe, a part of the continent that until 1989 was behind the Iron
Curtain. What has made Steve's trip possible is the combination of
political change and Easyjet/Ryanair. The first factor makes taking
such a trip on short notice possible (in the bad old days Steve would
have needed considerable lead time to go to Poland, needing to apply
for a visa etc.); and the second makes it affordable.

Finally, the Jewish quarter--when I visited Krakow two years ago, I
was struck by how prominent the Jewish past is. Steve shows one image
of a run-down building, but there are also several kosher
restaurants, six synagogues have been restored (two of which are in
use as synagogues, the others are museums or exhibition spaces). Part
of this is of course tourism, but there is also a bit of a revival of
the Jewish community going on.

Cheers,
Nathan