Subject: [Leica] [img] is this light too soft?
From: rbrowne1 at mindspring.com (Robert Browne)
Date: Sun Jan 20 14:18:25 2008

Kyle,

I used to use a small (about 24" or so) silver or white umbrella for
B&W portraits with film for lighting similar to what I believe you are
going after. Up close and at a 45 or greater degree angle. You'll get
light falloff if very close but that's OK if details other than the
face aren't as important. You can adjust the coverage by changing the
distance of the light head to the umbrella. It can be a bit
unflattering but great for character faces. Turn a four year old into
Harry Dean Stanton. I wish I had an example to show you but none of my
old negs/prints have been scanned. Also be careful if using any
reflector(s) as their effect with this lighting becomes more obvious
than usual. I'm sure you'll figure out something that will work
perfectly for you.

Robert

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

I'm thinking of doing a series of studio portraits of "heroes" --
doctors, firefighters, police -- people who for one reason or another
put their lives at risk to protect others.

i'd like to have a sort of "standard" portrait lighting for all of
them, and was kicking around the 63 inch photek softlighter II as big
enough and soft enough (and easy enough to set up) -- but looking at
last nights tests on trillian:

  http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/trill-sb1.jpg

  http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2008/trill-sb3.jpg

i'm wondering if it's just _too_ soft -- i'd like some sharper shadows
on interesting faces and i'm wondering if it would be better to move
to:

  a) a smaller umbrella

  b) a softbox

  c) "window light" is not an answer here, thank you for trying though.

  i'm afraid if i go to too small an umbrella, if just won't have the
coverage to get "head to waist". gak.

what are your favorite ways to light interesting faces with wrinkles &
character? i fear i've been photographing models too long, trying to
get RID of wrinkles and character ..... i want their faces to tell the
story, if you know what i mean....

kc