Subject: [Leica] 28's- CV Ultron & Summicron
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sun Jan 20 15:35:44 2008

Huh. Well. Jeez.

Thanks for that Michiel, but now I'm really confused.
I'd like to read that explanation, but I guess I'd
have to buy into Sean Reid's site to get to it. What's
the point of eliminating barrel distortion if by doing
so a grotesque interpretation of human physiognomy is
introduced?

Practically, how does the elimination of barrel
distortion apply - is it a matter of acheiving a clear
straight line interpretation of linear, architectural,
perspective? I can't see the point if screws up the
expression of volume or biomorphic form.

Is this a case a case of  engineering to bench testing
parameters as opposed to real-world shooting? Or a
display of the difference between Japanese design
esthtetic (the folks who gave us the concept of bokeh)
and a Western attention to mathematics?

Since the Ultron has been discontinued, I guess I'd
better get a hold of a spare from Gandy while he still
has some.

--- Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I understood from Sean Reid, barrel distortion
> helps to prevent the
> elongation of the peoples heads. I can imagine the
> cv 28 has more barrel
> distortion than the Leica. The elmarit asph. is said
> to have the least
> barrel distortion of all the Leica 28's. This would
> mean that it will
> not suit you.
> All hearsay from Sean and Erwin.
>
> Cheers,