Subject: [Leica] Pushing TriX in XTOL (1:1)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jan 20 22:17:07 2008

> In the end, you may have to do your own testing. I finally set out and did
> mine last year and it has made a huge difference to the consistency of my
> negs. I have never used Xtol.

Can we see some pictures? that way we might get a clue about your whole
thing very pushing orientated. Why push?
Have you heard of Neopan 1600?
Far supperior to pushed tri X.
I'd recommend it in Xtol 1:3

The massive Dev Chart on the Digital Truth site is responsible for more un
truth and deception and misrepresentation over the past 5 years than any
other photographic influence I've ever heard of.
You'd think you'd have a choice of speeds from 100 to 3200 with tri x and
that's just with Xtol.
Wow what options!
Pick your film! Name your speed!
May I tell you that a cursory glance at any beginning book on photography
will tell you that that's not digital truth that analog hogwash.
Sure you can get another stop or two out of Tri x  if you Tri from certain
developers not Xtol which has never been known as a pushing developer but
why would you want to? People did that in the old days before there were
faster films. Now they use those if they want faster speeds.
Neopan will give you full shadow detail at 1600 with a slew of different
developers. Beutlers, Pyro, Xtol.
Get a book on the basics. Don't just go right to this stupid website.

Every film has an optimal speed to shoot it with and that's in most cases
the speed on the box or very very close to it. They really have no reason to
lie to you.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Pushing TriX in XTOL (1:1))