Subject: [Leica] walt - all kidding aside
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Wed Jan 23 05:42:13 2008

George

Please don't get me wrong. Digital is amazing and I'm only half-stuck in
the last century. I shoot film and scan negs.Reading Doug Nygren's post
about b&w prints makes me wonder. Should we all be forced to take an
/*Anti-Nostalgia*/ pill?  I have seen some glowing silverG prints. Forty
years back we had some major shooters on display at our school. Minor
White's prints glowed, along with Brett Weston's and his Dad's.

I seriously doubt Doug's images do a lot of glowing. Over 3o years in a
darkroom didn't get much glow out of me either. There is one conclusion
which came to me some time back. If you really want the best prints
start with the best light. I don't care what kind of camera, or lens or
film. Good light is the best beginning.    Once that is nailed down then
digital repeatability comes into it's own.  Working an image to make it
right in Photoshop is a joy.(at least for me).....Get it  right and spit
out good prints quicker than farmer spits  Red Man.

After all these years I finally realized... I didn't care that much for
the darkroom. I did like good prints and worked hard at it but only
because it was necessary. I  still love to shoot but once the image is
captured my interest starts to fade.  :-)

Take care

Walt