Subject: [Leica] Leica Plans
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jan 23 21:53:31 2008

OK, here is the Cliff Notes version:

The first part explains the history of the company in the past few
years, leading up to the near-bankruptcy in 2004. It cites an unnamed
Leica marketing guy as saying that they believed that the market
would settle into 70-30 digital/analogue or perhaps 80/20, allowing
Leica to continue focusing on the analogue cameras. Instead, the
analogue market collapsed much sooner than predicted, hence the "deep
shit".

It then goes on to talk about Leica's failed partnership with Fuji
and the current, much more successful one with Panasonic. The C and D-
Lux cameras are still selling well. It also describes the launch of
the M8 in the fall of 2006, the initial problems etc.--all well known
stuff here. It praises the management for acting quickly to address
the problems.

The new management had to act quickly to stabilize the company,
including large layoffs. The next stage is to launch new products
that build on Leica's core competence (i.e. optical design), thus the
new line of lower-priced lenses. The third stage is the most
challenging one: to launch new digital products, including an M9 with
full-frame sensor, an R10 with "oversized" sensor and a smaller
digital M (no mention of sensor here, perhaps it is a CL-like camera
built around the current M8 sensor?--just Nathan's speculation).
Given the short product cycles, it is imperative for Leica to launch
something major at this year's Photokina.

Financially, the company is now stable, with growing sales and a
modest profit. They have re-hired about 150 people and have started
construction of the new Wetzlar facility. But the company is not out
of the woods by any means. The challenge remains how to generate
enough cash to fund development of the new products that the company
needs to survive. It ends by saying that it helps Leica to have a
private owner who does not panic at each quarter's numbers and who
has a vision--but even a visionary wants to make money in the end.

Nathan

On 24-jan-2008, at 6:19, Frank Filippone wrote:

> Ok, I'll bite... what does it say?
>
> I can use the Cliff Notes abbreviated edition.....if someone will
> help out
> here......
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net