Subject: [Leica] Concert photography: 200mm long enough?
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon Jan 28 00:25:12 2008

I am almost on the verge of deciding for the E-3 over the D300. I
know I can use the swivel LCD and the in body IS is just good to
have, plus I can haul out my 50/2 and 90/2 OM macros etc. for Friday
flowers (and with all the raining we have been having in the Bay
Area, we will have plenty of flowers...) I will miss the thin DOF
portraits but I can rationalize that away since I can always use the
Ms or the R-D1 for that purpose.

Question for you folks with experience with this sort of thing - is
200mm long enough? I will be shooting either at the side of the stage
or right in front. Since these are Taiko performances, most pictures
will involve more than one person. I may do an occasional close up of
the face if I can get them of course.

A reputable LUGger is offering the 35-100/2 (70-200mm equivalence in
35mm) at a very attractive price. If I do decide on the E-3 (yes, I
am still waffling, just a wee bit), and if the 200mm is long enough,
then I will probably take up on his offer. The other alternative is
the 50-200/2.8-3.5 (100-400mm in 35mm). I suppose I can throw in the
1.4 TC to get ~280mm which sounds like it should be enough. What da
y'all think?

Thanks for any suggestions (other than waiting for the R10, K20D, or
go for the D3 etc. :-) )

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from gwpics at googlemail.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Concert photography: 200mm long enough?)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Concert photography: 200mm long enough?)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Concert photography: 200mm long enough?)