Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrade confirmed via e-mail from Leica
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Jan 31 14:59:33 2008

I am not sure this is such a good move. Who is going to buy an M
camera between now and when the upgraded camera is available? They
have announced an upgrade for a camera that they are still selling.
They should have announced all this when the M8.? was ready to ship.
The only way I can see around it is if every M8 from here on in comes
with a certificate for a free upgrade.

That said, I am heartened that they will, albeit at a cost, provide
an upgrade path for the M8. This is very important to me, a run-of-
the-mill photographer. I was loath to invest in a $5K camera that
would be obsolete and not repairable in three to five years. I don't
mind spending that amount on my film M as it has a long life
expectancy, albeit again with expensive regular maintenance.

Heck I just sent out a new-to-me IIIf BD for an overhaul so no
problems with periodic bills to keep the old faithfuls running.

John