Subject: [Leica] Reductionism isn't legit OT
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Feb 1 16:08:21 2008

It may not be wrong consider digital as not the real thing.  Digital is a
state of electromagnetic charge. Silver is an element. Silver,  even in a
latent image, is still an element, which is tangible and real.  Digital
has to be converted to analog and then into elements using some  device.
What is real, really? :-)

DaveR
Hi Dave,

Reductionism has it limits. For example, an element of and by  itself has no
complex product value. Carbon is an element. That's all it  ever will be by
itself. However, when carbon is part of a molecule, like  those that make up
cell, we're in the realm of biology and medicine. Big  difference.

Silver functioning as the metal it is and reduced and  fixed in chemical
photography is not equivalent to the  electronics of digital imagemaking. In
short, the fact that we can reduce  all matter to electrons and the
particles in
the nucleus of an atom does not  make  atoms the common denominator of the
larger entities they  compose. The whole is greater than the sum of its
parts
because the whole is  different due to the mix of its constituents at
various
levels of  organization.

In short, a printout -- no matter how convincing it looks  -- is not the
equivalent of a traditional silver image and never will be.  Sorry to be
negative.

Bob

48)

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Reductionism isn't legit OT)