Subject: [Leica] Down Loading M8 firm ware update.
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Feb 4 14:55:40 2008

Richard, as you say the assemblies may well be partly modular and there are
less complications than in an SLR. Probably not too much
completely manual assembly in the bodies these days but I guess the upgrades
are entirely by hand. Really though the technical
challenge must be to source a 35mm frame size sensor that will do the job.
Don't forget that the current one is a custom design and
had to be made for the short lens to focal plane distance. If that was easy
the current M8 would have had one from the start! As to
the prices, I think the factors are long well understood. This is a Leica
group ;-) The idea of offering upgrades though, I think is
laudable. Just what ones will be available and whether people are willing to
pay for them, we shall see. My bet is that the current
first offered upgrade will mainly cause everyone who has yet to buy an M8
but wants one, to wait a little longer. The new
improvements must make it into serial production. Any possible future
upgrade including a 35mm sensor will be a very different story
for current owners, in my opinion.
cheers
Geoff