Subject: [Leica] My beautiful M8 is here, just how long does that orange light stay on?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Mon Feb 4 19:32:15 2008

at the risk of spreading some misinformation, this is what my cursory
research has uncovered.  anyone please correct me if i am wrong.  leica m8
supports SD but not SDHC.  i think all cards above 4GB are SDHC and most
4GB cards are SDHC.  transcend (maybe others) makes a non-SDHC 4GB card
which does work on the M8.  i tried an Adata SDHC 8 GB card in the m8, and it
did not recognize it.  neither did my older SD-USB card readers I had.
however, my kids's $80 HP camera and $100 samsung cameras were able to
use that 8 gig card no problem.

i think leica says they are working on a firmware update:

  FAQ LEICA M8
  Status September 11th, 2007

  2.1 Why can't SDHC-standard memory cards be used in the LEICA M8?

  The SDHC standard is an extended type of SD standard. This takes very
  extensive updating of the s SD driver to accommodate them. Leica is
working
  on such updates and will supply them in future firmware versions.

-rei