Subject: [Leica] Re:one of the most important news for me | some DP-1 images
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Tue Feb 5 00:31:27 2008

I'm sure glad I didn't wait on this one and finally got one of the last
(refurb) Fuji F30s in Korea. You're comments are right on target, Didier, as
usual.

Didier Ludwig <leica@screengang.com> wrote:  Mehrdad

These samples can not convince me so far. The high ISO pictures, like this
one http://tinyurl.com/yspg6v (pink surface left of "Circus", dark grey
surface below), do not look significantly better than from smaller-sized
sensors. It really seems that Sigma could not take the full advantage of
it's bigger sensor, though the noise is slightly lower in average as with
the GR-D at ISO800. I am also somehow disappointed by the lens. If they make
a fixed lens only in f4.0 instead of f2.5 or f2.8, one may expect the heck
of a razor sharp thing, with even reproduction from center to corner. But
Phil Askeys DP1 hands-on preview snapshots http://tinyurl.com/3baups show a
rather average optical performance, clearly below the Ricoh lens. The
corners are rather soft, see this one http://tinyurl.com/yvw8le (top right).
The Auto-White balance seems not very spot on (first inside picture/Sigma
booth); but that's a problem of many digital cameras and can be resolved by
editing the RAW file.

All in all, I do not have the feeling that Sigma has produced a milestone
with that camera, but tries to catch up others, breathlessly and with some
delay. It's a pity. I would have expected a bit more and I guess I'll pass
on this one.

Didier