Subject: [Leica] Does the process matter?
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Sun Feb 10 01:34:00 2008

Don Dory wrote:

> <>Philippe,This an area that I have been following for years. The museums
> have been looking for a quality reproduction method to sell in the museum
> shop and the heirs of the artist are looking for an income stream.
> Yes, the
> best of the reproductions are dead on the original with the exception of
> some greens and blues that are still out of gamut. As to the texture, some
> of the paper has a good texture that will mimic an oil.

Don
Texture for me is not about the support/wood, canvas, it is about the
"paint" itself I mean.
Of course, colour is one thing - yet structure, depth and glazing are
another. I'm still speaking of the "paint"
If I meant to be sarcastic on such a beautiful day here, I'd ask : oil
on door frame? then yes; three nice coats of careful daubing, and it's
done.
But then how do you get the depth and and layered light and colours of
art oil painting?
Have you ever got near a painting by Turner, Gainsborough, Memling, De
la Tour, etc? How do you get this light but through multple thicker or
thinner layered brush strokes.
I'd really be curious to see that. But why not after all. Mind you, I
also believe in progress and technology, and wasn't oil painting a
revolution of its own time?

Have a sunny Sunday :-)
phx

Message from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Does the process matter?)