Subject: [Leica] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: back to Amsterdam
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Feb 13 15:58:17 2008

Nathan Wajsman showed:

>>>I was in the Netherlands last week to take care of some formalities and
to drive my wife's car down to Spain during the weekend. So aside from the
obligatory Alicante beach picture, all the images are from a glorious Friday
in Amsterdam:

http://www.fotocycle.dk:80/paws/?page_id=127

Hi Nathan,

As usual a fine set of photographs. You have shown the fine "Art of
Observation" in alternate #5. Two gentlemen in discussion.

This illustrates what "observation of the subject" is all about!

Look at the hand gesture, man on left. And the folded arms, slight cocking
or turning of the head indicating listening intently man on the right.

It's little things like this that many photographers miss in their picture
taking when they snap one off without "seeing!"

It's the observation of little nuances such as we see here that makes the
difference between a "decisive moment" or not!

The film in DVD format just completed entitled, "Ted Grant -The Art of
Observation." Illustrates this in many ways. It isn't just looking and "gee
whiz look at that." Click!

It's about observation in milliseconds of the subject before us and the
little things that make a difference, between a photo working and catching
our attention. Or just sitting there exposing itself.

You illustrate these observation elements time after time in your postings.
In many cases other photographers miss these because they only see in the
"whole" and not the little bitty pieces that make a photo moment really work
or not.

Your photo essays are one of the best teaching series we have the luxury of
learning from. Thank you.

ted