Subject: [Leica] Calculator collecting anyone?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu Feb 21 17:44:00 2008

Yep.  I needed some plexi for 16x20 frames, and the store had a new kid.  I
told him I needed 16 16x20 cuts.  He thought he could get two cuts out of a
32x40 piece...I finally drew out a diagram of four cuts on a 32x40 piece and
he said, well I'll be damned.

Then there is this (sorry, I know it's old):

1960s arithmetic test:

"A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of
production is four-fifths of that amount. What is his profit?"

'70s test:

"A logger exchanges a set (L) of lumber for a set (M) of money. The
cardinality of Set M is 100. The set C of production costs contains 20 fewer
points. What is the cardinality of Set P of profits?"

'80s version:

"A logger cuts and sells a truckload of lumber for $100. Her cost is $80,
her profit is $20. Find and circle the number 20."

'90s version:

"A logger cuts down a stand of 100 trees in order to make a $20 profit.
Write an essay explaining how you feel about this as a way to make money.
Topic for discussion: How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?"