Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin telling it like it may be
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Feb 27 17:36:57 2008

George in my opinion these may well be practical concepts, however the very
'M'ness would be destroyed in the process. You might end
up with a new camera which is simpler or more familiar to operate, but loss
of that unique RF manual focus arrangement might
severely damage the connection to the perceived quality and tradition of the
M's. Without that connection Leica might be struggling
to compete against the Japanese giants. Witness the Digilux 3 for example. I
have no doubt that it produces superb results (look at
Philippe A's pictures from the L1) but they have apparently not been a
commercial success nor are they likely to challenge M cameras
in people's PERCEPTIONS of Leica equipment. Anything rebadged will never
have the same cred, however practical or clever it may be.
Just my 2 cents, which incidentally today is worth more of your 2 cents than
it has done for the last 23 years (USC 1.88!). Someone
sell me something, I'm heading for the BHphoto and KEH sites now.

Cheers
Geoff