Subject: [Leica] origin of square format
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Thu Feb 28 07:50:04 2008

Someone asked the other day about the origin of the square format...

It started in sense with the first roll film camera made by Kodak.  You
sent the camera in to have the 100 exposure roll taken out and
reloaded.... since they hadn't invented the paper backing which made
daylight loading possible.

Actually the negatives / images were round circles that were printed on
square paper....

So... that is why the first photos were square.... ; )

Duane (I wish I had (or could afford) one of those cameras for my
collection) Birkey