Subject: [Leica] Travel question
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Feb 29 01:36:41 2008

Didier is right with the trains.
The time you spend hanging around airports (they want you to be there at
least 2 hours before boarding for security checks) usually makes local
flights take longer than a trip with an ICE Express in Germany, the only
problem with German railways is their fares system- it's very
complicated - if you find a VERY good member of staff at the ticket
counter, he/she will be able to work out very reasonable fares, in fact
you can sometimes travel cheaper first class than second. There is an
extra charge for ICE Expresses, so be sure to reserve a seat, you have
to pay the extra even if it's standing room only. You'll find there are
all sorts of off-peak offers or special offers for regional trains too.
First class ICE trains are wonderful, the second class cars are a bit
too much plastic for my tastes, particularly the compartment cars. Don't
know whether it affects you, but smoking is prohibited almost everywhere
in Germany now, so if you want a quick drag and a cough it has to be
outside.
No problems at all with German airport security personnel, but the
checks are laborious for passengers and the security people too - so be
nice to them.
BTW, almost everyone in Germany speaks a little English, most people in
customer service quite good English.
Douglas
(since 1974 in Germany)