Subject: [Leica] M8 Upgrade revisited
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Feb 29 16:54:29 2008

Did they use the word "forever" anywhere?

Wasn't the first price $2000 = roughly 1200 Euros?  So this is slight price
reduction.
But the warranty went from 2 years to 1 year.........for 800 Euros or $1200
( including making the shutter infinitesimally quieter)
Or 750 Euros = $1125 for a new Saphire Glass window ......

If nothing else, you are protected for a year,,,,

Can you imagine the cost of replacing a shutter in an M8 or worse yet,
shutter + sensor if the thing goes south and your warranty is up?

I think $1200 is cheap ( wallet) protection , if you own an M8.

I wonder why the fuss over the upgrade and dealers.. after all, they never
got a piece of the pie if you sent  your equipment to Leica directly for
repair.....?????
It is marginal business for them.

Local upgrade could be an interesting proposal... no wonder Dr. Joseph was
not too happy with Lee.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

1120 Euros for the full upgrade
750 Euros for the Saphire glass only
800 Euros for the shutter only

One year warranty extension.

No 'presale certificates'. Work will be done starting August 08, and
can now be done in local service centers such as US, Japan, Hong Kong
etc.

Further details to follow.

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] M8 Upgrade revisited)
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] M8 Upgrade revisited)