Subject: [Leica] OT: Binoculars, what's top quality?
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 29 17:31:20 2008

Vick,

About 14 years ago i decided to get a new pair of binoculars, as I was
unhappy with the Nikon pair I had.  I looked at the Zeiss, Swarovski, Baush
& Lomb and others, including the Leica units.  I spent 4 months researching
and trying the various brands and talking to those who owned each.  I ended
up buying the Leica 10x40 Trinovid Ultras.  I am a extreemly happy customer
and would buy the newer units in a second, but my current units are in
perfect shape and are great performers.  They are expensive, although the
Zeiss are even more expensive, but in my research, at the time they were
inferior in vision and quality, the second of which was very surprising, as
I had expected them to be equal or even better than the Leica binocs.  They
are expensive but will last a lifetime.  There are those who will say the
Leica units are over priced and over rated, but in my experience, they are
at the top of the list, and the Ultras are only superceded by the current
Leica binocs.  When I starte
d out I wanted a pair of the Zeiss units, but after the research, they were
about 2 rungs down on the ladder.

Gene

From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>