Subject: [Leica] OT: different Apple desktops
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Mar 12 00:34:13 2008

> Since a lot of you out there are Mac folk, I thought I'd ask your
> opinion on this. I am tempted to get one of the Mac desktops. I
> always thought that I needed one of the Mac Pro models due to their
> horsepower and memory expansion possibilities, but now I see an iMac
> 2.8 Ghz 24" for a very reasonable price, several hundred Euros less
> than a Mac Pro. Memory expandable to 16 GB, 500 GB hard disk, 8x
> Superdrive etc.
>
> What do I really give up if I go for the iMac compared to a Mac Pro?
>
> TIA,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman

To me if your doing Photoshop on a laptop instead of a main frame you need
to then not cut any corners.
I have a
  Machine Name:    PowerBook G4 12"
  Machine Model:    PowerBook6,8
  CPU Type:    PowerPC G4  (1.5)
  Number Of CPUs:    1
  CPU Speed:    1.5 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):    512 KB
  Memory:    1.25 GB
  Bus Speed:    167 MHz

>From a couple of years ago and with the new processor they're using now its
starting to feel like a museum piece.
It was respective a couple of years ago.
Now its a bum.
When I open up twenty files in Photoshop at the same time it starts over
heating.

If you get a main frame you can relax a little.
But a laptop don't take compromises.

But what I don't know about computers you can put in a book.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from s_gregory1 at mac.com (Scott Gregory) ([Leica] OT: different Apple desktops)