Subject: [Leica] IMG: Not buying a Hummer or a Prius - Ira's PESO 2008-2
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 16:40:43 2008

To Sonny C, Jim Shulman and Jim Nichols,

Thank you all for commenting on "Tailfins".  Just to close the loop,  so to
speak, here is the front end of the same car:

_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Miscellany/1959+Dodge.jpg.html
_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Miscellany/1959+Dodge.jpg.html)

Buicks were certainly the "heavy metal"  of the mid-fifties.  My  dad had a
56 Century that weighed about 2 1/2 tons, but had barely a hint of a
tailfin.
It was replaced by a 59 Plymouth that was bigger, but  weighed less than the
Buick, and had what would be considered an average  fin. Not at all like the
Dodges and Chryslers.  I think the limit was  reached with the 61 Chrysler,
where IIRC the fin started in the middle of the  front door and never seemed
end.

I learned to drive on a 83 Oldsmobile, by which time tailfins were a thing
of the past.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA