Subject: [Leica] Questions about Visoflex III
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Mar 16 21:16:43 2008

At 06:03 AM 3/16/2008, Luis Ripoll wrote:
 >Hi,
 >
 >I've purchased on e-Bay a Visofex III with the adapter 16464 for Elmar 65,
 >Elmar & Tele Elmar 135, and Elmarit 90. I don't have any of these lenses,
 >my
 >questions are:
 >
 >1.- Can I use my other lenses on the Visoflex?. I have only "modern"
 >lenses:
 >Summicron & Summilix 35, Various 50mm, Summilux 75, Summicron 90/2AA & T-E
 >90/2,8, and the Apo-Telyt 135/3,4.
 >
 >2.- Which lens do you recommend for macrophotography, IMO the 65 is
 >probably
 >the best. I'm not going to use telephoto.
 >
 >3.- I suppose that metering through the M6 and later models will be precise

You can use any Leitz or Leica M BM lens but they
will not focus to infinity.  Many of the  longer
M lenses made into the 1980's will unscrew to
permit their use on a Visoflex while preerving
infinity focus.  Pick up a copy of Erwin Puts'
Leica CD-ROM as this includes Viso II and III
instruction sheets which explain lens and adapter compatibility.

The best choice for microphotography are the Carl
Zeiss Luminars and the Leitz Photars, though you
have to kludge an adapter to fit the Bellows
II.  The 3.5/65 Elmar is a solid macro lens, especially the second version.

You have to lift the mirror out of the light path
to allow metering on the M6 and its offspring
but, yes, the metering is extremely precise.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Questions about Visoflex III)