Subject: [Leica] Arthur C. Clarke
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Mar 19 14:51:31 2008

At 04:04 PM 3/19/2008, Sonny Carter wrote:
 >  According to the Associated Press:
 >
 > Science-fiction writer, inventor and futurist Arthur C. Clarke has died.

I saw him at the 1960 WorldCon:  he was pointed
out to me by Willy Ley.  I was too timid to
approach him or the other assembled greats
(Heinlein, Beam, Simak, de Camp, Anderson,
Williamson, Leinster, &c) but I can, at least,
say that we were in the same room.

Joe Haldeman, a science fiction writer who is on
the Questar List, noted that he had watched an
Apollo Landing with Clarke and that he found him
a charming and lucid gentleman -- they both
smoked so they spent some time in a private conversation on the back deck.

Clarke was the last of the Silver Age
authors.  All of them are now gone.  We mourn
their passing.  Wait!  Damon Knight yet lives, I
believe, and Pohl still marks the Golden Age, so
all glory is not yet evaporated into the evanescence of memory.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!