Subject: [Leica] Close-focusing with M's
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Mar 21 14:29:30 2008

At 2:51 PM -0400 3/21/08, Tina Manley wrote:
>LUG experts -
>
>Which M lens will focus closest on the M's without any extra eyes or
>anything?  I've got the 50 DR with the eyes but it's very awkward to
>use.
>
>Thanks -
>
>Tina

The 'closest focusing' lens is the Summicron DR. It can focus to
about .48m, or 19". That's closer than the 90 Macro-Elmar, which can
only focus to .77m. It gives a slightly higher magnification, but at
a greater distance. In fact, all current Leica lenses up to the 75's
focus closer than the Macro-Elmar, namely to 0.7m. Actual focusing
can't be closer than 0.7m with Leicas without goggles due to the
rangefinder construction.

However, the old 21/3.4 Super-Angluon could 'focus' (ie, be scale
focused) closer. It could be set to 0.4m or 16", and many other very
short focal length lenses can be set similarly close. The WATE can be
set to 0.5m, and the CV 12 and 15's can be set to 0.3m.

So the CV 15 would probably be the best lens to use when you want to
take a picture of your dinner plate. One foot away and you get
everything in! :-)

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design