Subject: [Leica] Re:Another ZM lens on the horizon
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Mar 24 15:13:03 2008

At 05:24 PM 3/24/2008, Christopher Williams wrote:
 >Zeiss is probably just happy to have survived the Contax closing :)
 >
 >They seem to be happy putting Zeiss glass on Minolta/Konica/Sony
 >bodies. And soon FF 24mp Sony bodies.
 >
 >http://masterchong.com/v2/sony-alpha/pie02008-sony-showcased-sony-alph
 >a-dslr-a900.html
 >
 >I've inquired about Zeiss glass for my eyeglasses before and the look
 >is always "you want to spend that much?"

Zeiss is owned by a charitable foundation and
thus does not have to fully reveal its sources of
income, but it is probably safe to set out something along the following
lines:

military and security items             25%
commercial optics                       30%
scientific and medical optics           25%
eyeglasses                              15%
photographic optics                       5%

Zeiss has little interest in producing
photographic lenses as this means a diversion of
production facilities from the far more
profitable military, scientific, and commercial
work, but it will certainly jump at a chance to
pick up hefty licence fees from others for the use of its name.

The connection with Yashica was all right but it
became dicey once Kyocera took over and I suspect
that the gnomes of Heidenheim were delighted by
Kyocera's decision to kill off the Contax line.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon)