Subject: [Leica] Another ZM lens on the horizon
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Mar 26 22:00:31 2008

At 05:59 AM 3/26/2008, Marty Deveney wrote:

 >I tend to regard Zeiss Ikon as a part of Zeiss, as all the components
 >of the Foundation are today.  This was certainly what Zeiss argued in
 >their court case against Zeiss Jena.  Zeiss agencies sometimes
 >assembled lenses and made components (I didn't specify elements) in
 >the country of sale.  I have better knowledge of this practice for
 >microscopy and technical products than for camera lenses.  This
 >practice dates back to the 19th century when B&L, Kraus and others
 >made Anastigmats, sold under a variety of brands.  Hensoldt was
 >another company that Zeiss obtained some components from, but the CZ
 >Foundation eventually bought them too.  They even made a nice little
 >RF camera at one stage, manufactured by ISO in Italy.

This is absolutely false and is not at all what
the Zeiss Foundation ever argued in any of the
various Court cases -- read the records if you doubt it!

The Zeiss Foundation owned a number of
companies.  One of these was the Zeiss lens
works.  Another was the Schott und Genossen glass
works.  Yet another was the Gauthier shutter
company.  And then there was the Deckel shutter
company.  And the Leitz wooden woodworking-tool
works (believe me:  this company existed, and
Zeiss owned it, and the tools are reportedly
magnificent, albeit I do not do
woodworking).  And then there was Zeiss
Ikon.  And Voigtl?nder.  All were separate
companies controlled by a common Foundation.  For
that matter, the Zeiss Foundation never owned ALL
of Zeiss Ikon:  about 10% or more of it was in
outside hands up to the ending of camera production.

A friend of mine, a researcher, was at the Zeiss
Archives at Oberkochen twenty years back.  He
asked the archivist about their records of Zeiss
Ikon.  The archivist nodded slowly and remarked,
"ah, yes.  One of our former customers."

Me?  I'm about to go downstairs and have some
eggs cooked in coddlers made at the Jenaer
Glasswerke, the original Schott works in
Jena.  We've got to keep it in the family, after all!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!