Subject: [Leica] CV 15mm lens on M8
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 09:22:12 2008

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

> a question here , as my logic becomes  befuddled...
>
> A 21mm lens on the M8 just about fills the M8 viewfinder...
>
> a CV heliar 15mm lens on the M8 is really a 21mm lens, and can be used
> with a 21mm external viewfinder...

The befuddlement in part comes from popular and erroneous terminology.  The
15mm lens does not become a 21mm lens.  Its angle of view is reduced on the
smaller (compared with 35mm) sensor to about that of a 21mm lens on a 35mm
film camera.  The angle of view of the 15mm lens on the M8 matches that of
the external viewfinder (originally for a 21mm lens on 35mm film) because
the viewfinder isn't cropped.

> so... can one also use the M8 viewfinder, as the viewfinder for a CV
> 15mm lens...?

No.  The M8 viewfinder can be used for framing with the 21mm lens because
the 21mm lens is cropped on the M8's sensor.

> Why is this so difficult?

Because the popular terminology is bogus.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web