Subject: [Leica] CV 15mm lens on M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT)
Date: Fri Mar 28 07:52:14 2008

Pablo mon ami,
They are expensive no question and obviously the M8 the most of the breed.
But for me they are nothing more than tools of the trade and as I see them
they are the best for the job.
I've never expected them, the M nor the SLR's, to be absolutely 100% perfect
no matter the cost. WHY? Well I haven't ever come across a "perfect
photographer either!" :-) So why expect more from a human manufactured
camera.

I see the M view finder guide lines no matter how close they are as stated
by the manufacturer. As nothing more than a kind of close proximity to what
we can expect to be on the film. But never absolutely perfectly exact.
Sure there have been times I've used the 15mm on the M and  never looked
through the camera view finder to focus just winging it knowing the depth at
8-11-16 is so deep it really doesn't matter because everything from the tip
of your nose is going to be sharp.
However the wider the aperture and the closeness to subject I will focus if
I'm real tight on the subject.
By the same token when you are shooting a considerable amount with the super
wides you can just look through the camera view finder and be very very
close to what the lens is covering without looking through the external view
finder.
 The more you use the lens the more you become accustomed to what it's
covering.
And as far as Tina with the beast viwfinder on top of the camera I bet she
shoots more without it than with it! :-)
ted