Subject: [Leica] Adobe rights grab?????
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Mar 28 14:11:56 2008

I got a frustrating and amusing lesson about all this recently.  Some of
you may remember this Fourth of July fireworks picture:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/LakeBurst.htm

Many folks, both on LUG and off, told me that this was an outstanding
photo. I was encouraged by several people, including a professional book
editor, to talk to the bank that sponsors this event and try to get them
to use it for their publicity.  So I did.

If you can believe this, nobody I could find in the phone book connected
with the bank knew anything about the event, despite the fact that their
name is plastered all over it. Nobody knew if they had a P.R. department,
or, if they did, how to reach it.  Nobody would give me a phone number of
anyone who might know.

I finally found the P.R. firm myself by a Google search. When I called, I
was told that I needed to talk to "Alice," who was in charge of this.
When I leave her a message, be sure to use certain words, so she would
actually call me back.  So I did.

Eventually "Alice" called.  "Gee, we really don't have a budget for
photography, and I have a photographer who takes all our shots of the
event. But if you'd be interested in donating it, I could take a look."

So I said, OK, I *might* be persuaded to donate, if and only if my name
was featured prominently on any poster or flyer on which it was used.  So
take a look and let's talk, here's the Web link.

She looked, emailed me a day or two later. Praised the photo to the skies.
But she really doesn't have anywhere she can use it. But she encouraged me
to post it on their flickr page, so I could share it with others(!)

I looked at their flickr page--it had nearly 500 mostly point-and-shoot
shots of picnicing crowds and out-of-focus blurry shots of the fireworks.
So I said, no thank you, posting on flickr is essentially releasing one's
photo to the public domain. The response: "Thanks for reaching out, good
luck."

(my day job's starting not to look so bad. . . ?)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Adobe rights grab?????)