Subject: [Leica] OT: Weird TSA Luggage Search
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Mar 28 23:34:06 2008

This is a universal rule everywhere in the EU. Specifically, the rule
states:

- only liquids, gels etc. in containers up to 100 ml in carry-on
- totalling no more than 1 l
- must be presented to security in a ziplock-type plastic bag (many
airports provide those bags just before security)

This presents a set of challenges when buying booze at the airport
shops. If you are transiting at an EU airport, the rule is that you
can carry on stuff bought at another EU airport provided it is in a
sealed plastic bag. Every tax free shop in the EU will seal the bag
in the appropriate manner. If you are coming from outside the EU,
then you may have a problem. At least last year the situation was
that if you flew from, say, New York to Amsterdam to somewhere else,
then your tax-free purchases from New York would be confiscated at
Schiphol.

The details are here, unfortunately in Dutch only:
http://www.schiphol.nl/AirportInformation/NewsPage/NewsPage.htm?
contentid=23

Nathan

On 27-mrt-2008, at 20:36, FRANK DERNIE wrote:

> You were lucky........... shades of Python,
> At Southampton and D?sseldorf toiletries must be put in a clear
> plastic bag and removed from hand baggage to be scanned and
> inspected separately. I go through these two weekly. Heathrow is
> the same.
> Frank

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@nathanfoto.com