Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong Rugby 7's pictures
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Mar 31 07:27:07 2008

Hi Howard,

Well done lad! Given shooting a Rugby match like this isn't an easy task
anytime, certainly from the stands! You covered it better than I'd expect
from that position.

Lot's of solid on field action and without question the usual high jinks of
the "in stands athletes!" J Not to forget the "streakers!" Always a
challenge at any event. J

I can well understand the benefits of auto focus with so much running and
passing involved  making it much easier than the good old days of Leica
SLR's and manual focus.

Even today with the most modern of Leica gear it's still manual and another
point why Leica have fallen behind in use by the professional sport and news
photographers of the world. Not to forget pricing!!!

However I liked to pride myself I shot Leica manual focus 280-400 & 560
lenses covering the Olympics and many other international sport events for
many years at what I considered the good fortune to be quick on manual
focus.

However? When I prided myself at fast manual focusing and managed a few
exciting in focus moments, little did I know how slow I was until? I learned
how slow I was when I used auto focus Canon gear! J Photography is learning
there's always something better around the corner. J

Well done mon ami, good on you! J

ted