Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder news - Digital Zeiss RF by 2009??
From: leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams)
Date: Mon Mar 31 21:07:55 2008

It appears Leica will have some digital rangefinder competition in 2009.
According to Getty Images Europe, Zeiss will introduce a demo digital
rangefinder at Photokina 2008 and expect to have a full working model by
early 2009.

Specs are real scarce but this was posted on a Japanese Zeiss website and
some images are now being seen on the web. It's possible the images have
been taken down by now but I'm sure more will pop up. This does not appear
to be a cruel rumor or fake. Zeiss reps are saying 14mp 23.8 x 35.9 size
CMOS chip with iso from 25 to 6400. M-mount with 3 new lenses to be
announced as well. Sweet,maybe they are going with the Sony chip that's in
the Nikon D3? A 50mm Nocti would be a 50mm again!

I wonder how much this will cost and I wonder if this is a Cosina/Zeiss
collaboration? I was under the impression Zeiss does not make their own
cameras.

Photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23157194@N02/2378515123/

Chris
NOLA