Subject: [Leica] IMG: Home, II
From: qiao_li at mentor.com (Qiao Li)
Date: Thu Apr 3 14:38:20 2008

If I may offer my perspective, I think the opinions for and against
this photo are both sound and with rightful justifications.

If I may project my feeling onto Jayanand and Pablo, the reason to
abstain from taking such photos is due to the sheer hopelessness and
helplessness one, as an integral part of that environment, feels
empathetically for the subject as individual beings, and the guilt
that they are powerless to effect any social changes to improve the
abject conditions of the subject.

If I may project my feeling onto Tina and Steve, the reason to take
such photos is due to the hope that, by informing their audience of
the dire situations people in some part of the rest of the world are
in, they could help set off and/or keep alive an effort that can
effect some social changes to the better for the subjects in the
photos.

I think we engage in opposite sides because we have compassions and
because we feel for the subjects in the photos.

Qiao