Subject: [Leica] Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui/Mama longevity
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Sun Apr 6 14:03:22 2008

>From reading the article linked by the distinguished Mr Reid...

It claims that Taiyo Yuden states their Super Cyanine dye is chemically
stable for at least 70 years...  I could not find that info on their
website.....

Looking at information from www.Mama-a.com

They are now showing...

MAM-A Gold Archive CD-R:          329   years

MAM-A Gold Archive DVD-R:        116   years

My 100/50 year figures were the conservative side of the range that I had
seen in previous research.: IE 100to 300 years and 50 to 100 years.

Note: MAM-A offers standard gold media and Gold Archive.... the gold archive
lasts a lot longer than the standard gold.....  I highly doubt any of the
generic rebranded gold media is actually the gold archive media.

I've looked at all sorts of National Archive /Library of Congress/Archivist
information and they are all still recomending the Phtalocyanine dye media
with gold reflective layer.... which is what you get from the MAM-A disks.

Soooooooooooo.....  I'm sticking with MAM-A Archival... I get them from
CDW.... way cheaper than Light Impressions too...

However.....the question still remains, should Adobe Lightroom add the
capability to maintain archival optical media.....?  Or, as Adobe claims, is
the lifespan of optical media to short to be useful for archiving digital
photos? (said with a hint of sarcasim..... but nothing personal against
Adobe or its employees)

Duane (Who never seems to get the 2-3-5 year service life out of his hard
drives ) Birkey

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui/Mama longevity)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui/Mama longevity)