Subject: [Leica] IMG on the trail...AND sharpening considerations
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Apr 7 15:17:12 2008

Pablo there are a couple of issues there.
Firstly any camera that is capturing in Raw is not applying any sharpening
to the file (nor other adjustments). The Raw file converter MAY apply some
degree of sharpening by default. With Adobe Camera Raw for example, that can
be turned off or simulated in previews only.
In general there is some softening of any image as it is recorded digitally.
The level of that may or may not be significant dependant on subject and
taste. This can be offset by subtle 'capture' sharpening. Also, as a common
benchmark, people are used to seeing the sharpened and enhanced output
default of jpgs from digital cameras. The level and type of sharpening
applied (again subject dependant) will vary according to the end use and
resolution of the file. For example with everything else being equal it
would likely differ for a portrait of a pretty senorita instead of a rugged
sea cliff. Also though a screen size file needs a different treatment to a
high resolution file suitable for printing an enlargement from.

All of that might indicate what a different world digital capture is
regarding technique vs a darkroom. Remember too that there is no longer any
of the degradation after capture of multiple optical systems, enlarger,
projector for examples.

I think you are looking at that in this instance. I haven't even got to look
at Steve's picture yet!
Lastly of course, a lens like the superb 24 asph that Steve has used will
provide all of the resolution, sharpness and contrast that you could wish
for, on film and sensor.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e