Subject: [Leica] Selling photos, was; Selling gear
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed Apr 9 20:07:01 2008

This is a great and very thought provoking post. Technology is threatening
many occupations. Artists have always had to struggle in becoming
recognized, and this is another issue, but the working photographer is
"suffering" what skilled medical typists and those in the recording industry
are suffering. Medicine is no different. Newer techniques threaten the
viability of practitioners whose skills become obsolete. Once, university
training would set you up for life, but the rate of change is the issue. For
me, the price is much more study, meetings and research to keep somewhat
abreast with newer techniques, and for photographers, learning computer
skills, photoshop techniques etc is now vital. You may save on film and
development costs, but you will have to spend on hard/software and constant
updates. The upsurge of DIY techniques with these powerful home computers
means that many of us now publish our own books rather than employ type
setters etc. Its a worldwide phenomena, which is not going to change soon.

Henning also points out the secondary issue: loss of respect. Its real. I
recently did a wedding for a friend. There were others at the wedding who
carried "fancy" digital cameras and were happy to document the event. It was
very difficult light. Harsh, backlit scenes, lowish light levels mixed with
harsh direct sunlight, and coloured awnings changing colour balance. If my
livilhood relied on it, I would have insisted on taking the wedding party
away to a studio or more restricted setting for a series of "shots", but I
had given them fair warning.

In the end, they report that the whole family was astonished at how
different my images were to others on the day. Lack of flare, improved
colour rendition, better "focus", yet the intitial comments were laced with
"those leicas must be fantastic", ie its not you, it must be the equipment.
Well the Leicas are great, but most of the "differential" came down to
controlling light with manual metering, and a lot of "darkroom" like work in
"lightroom". I used white cards to keep the colour balance right in
different areas (can't rely on the M8 ;-) ) and I have a better than average
understanding of lightroom, which in large part I attribute to years of
darkroom work. I was happy with the results. I probably robbed some
photographer of a job for the day, though, I stressed to the family that
they should have a professional as well, but they took the "punt". To make
matters worse, the son was married 2 weeks later in Sydney and employed a
$5k photographer, who has failed to "deliver" the goods weeks later. That
family is not impressed.

For all of us, renewing our approach to work, and being reactive to changes
in working environments will continue to be important. Its much tougher, but
its also more interesting in some ways and success will reward those who
embrace it, just as Henning has done. I do long for a simple stack of chest
x rays sometimes though :-(

Cheers