Subject: [Leica] In defence of the newspapers
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Apr 10 22:24:19 2008

I just read that two big-time bloggers actually died at their computers in
the last couple of years. Another had a heart attack, but survived.
Blogging is a 24/7 business where getting your piece out a second later
than the other person may mean you don't get read.  And we thought
newspaper deadlines stifled quality.

The article was in The New York Times.  I read it in print.

I think that journalism and the arts are in the same boat.  The digital
revolution has turned everything upside down.  The economic models have
been broken.  New ones are taking their place, but everything is up for
grabs.  The owners of the outlets used to leave the creative people a few
crumbs. But now they are unashamedly claiming the whole pie, in
perpetuity.  Plus, now everybody can do horribly what it took training and
practice to do badly (or well) before.  Craft is dead, drowned in a sea of
garbage.  And the speed and noise of the age makes considered and complex
thought more difficult to exercise and less likely to be appreciated.

I remember when the Kaypro and the Osbourne (CP/M personal computers) first
came out.  I thought, "Oh, good, now I can write more efficiently, maybe
get more done."  Yes, I could.  But eventually, so could every other jerk
in the world.  It used to be that everybody thought they could write. Now
everybody and their uncle and their illegitimate sister-in-law thinks they
can write. So the volume of junk out there has increased exponentially.

The same goes for photography, as Tina and Ted and others have
chronicled.  I think it's much harder for good work to be recognized.  If
an editor has a couple dozen photographs in front of him or her, it's
possible to look at them all and pick the best.  If there are several
hundred, overload sets in, the temptation is to pick one, any one that will
do, and go home.  And if you have "citizen journalists" who will glady give
up all rights in return for getting their picture in the paper, and the
public tolerates it, then why bother having real photographers?

The New Yorker article does talk about some positives:  The possibilities
for democratization of the media, for alternative voices being heard via
the Web, that in the blogosphere, fact-checking can be done after the
article is published.   It also acknowledges that falsehoods can spread
forever even if they're corrected within a few minutes.

Still, I'm concerned that the speed at which everything moves makes it
almost impossible for quality to exist or be appreciated.  And as W.S.
Gilbert observed over a century ago, "when everybody's somebody, then no
one's anybody."

--Peter

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] In defence of the newspapers)