Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses and Olympus E-510
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 15 23:02:39 2008

> I guess we are talking about different things. Sorry :-)
>
> I was referring to just the ability to handhold regardless what the
> subject itself is doing. I guess my point is, if you have in body IS,
> why turn it off except when you are using a tripod?
>
> At 09:41 PM 4/15/2008, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>> Sorry Richard, but IS will do absolutely nothing to help you with
>> subjects who are moving, jumping, leaping and flying. It will help
>> when the subjects are relatively stationary but allowing you to
>> handhold at speeds 2-3 stops slower than otherwise and get an
>> acceptable image. But you are talking about subject movement, for
>> which IS does nothing.

The thing is subject movement is accepted and in some cases preferable to an
un natural freezing of frantic movement.
Like turning a waterfall in to ice.
Some blur is preferable.
It indicates where the action is.
Like in a comic book.

Panning shots like of race cars use amazingly slow shudder speeds yet the
cars are plenty sharp.

Its always what you don't think.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com