Subject: [Leica] IMG: The cardinal redone
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 19 08:36:56 2008

> On Apr 19, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Leonard Taupier wrote:
>
>> Here is an example of a bird I have only seen in dense brush, and
>> rare at that. I would not remove the tangled brush as it would
>> change it's habitat. I watched this bird for 15 minutes and it never
>> came out of the brush, just flew from one bush to another. It's a
>> White Throated Sparrow.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2uydoz
>

> if you wanted to use Photoshop to truly serve the bird...you would add
> dense brush, to make the bird less visible.
>
> Steve
>

>> Len

>>> If image editing removes the clutter of dense brush so that the
>>> bird appears to be in the open it's been moved from one habitat to
>>> another.  Some birds will never be seen away from dense brush, some
>>> are typically open-country birds and would not be found in dense
>>> brush.  In the case of the Cardinal, as Len explained, the bird may
>>> be found in either dense brush or singing in the open.
>>>
>>> Doug Herr
>>> Birdman of Sacramento
>>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

> best, Steve

Thing is for years and before Photoshop standard bird and other animal
photography has been with very long lenses and picking a moment when there
is nothing of course; between YOU and THEM. A brief moment I'd think when
you had them in the clear.
The fact is this is an abstraction.
In real life  you're not going to see a bird like that as if your right on
top of it. Its going to be far away and in the thicket. Rhino's too I think.
I say all this because there is a mind set now that photography became
"fake" when it went digital. And I don't think that's the case.
Photography was never real.

We cant trust the reality of a photo now because of Photoshop?
No we never could.
There was airbrush. I owned one.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com