Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Apr 21 11:18:56 2008

Steve: It has to do with the range of the RF roller adjustment that will
result in acceptable focus with each lens.  The lenses are calibrated to a
standard, like the body.  But in the real world, things may not be quite
right, and the M8 is less forgiving than with film--in other words, the
tolerances before things go awry are less.

Note: The diagrams below will only look correct if you are using a
Monospace font like Courier to view your email.

Think of a yardstick and a 1-foot ruler placed on a table, with the ruler
below the yardstick. Now imagine that the yardstick is the adjustment
range that work with the 50/2 Summicron, and the ruler is the range that
will work for the Noctilux at f/1. I've pictured it below. The asterisk
represents where the RF roller is adjusted. Here is how your wide-open
Noct and M8 may been set, before you adjusted the camera:

(Fig. 1)
|SummicronSummicronSummicron|
        |Noctilux|
      *

As adjusted above, the camera will focus properly with the Summicron, but
not with the wide-open Noct.  However, we could adjust it so that the
focus is OK with the Noct, and still be OK with the Summicron. Below is
what you probably did:

(Fig. 2.)
|SummicronSummicronSummicron|
        |Noctilux|
            *

The problem with the Noct is that if you stop it down 2 or 3 stops, you
get something like this:

(Fig. 3)
|SummicronSummicronSummicron|
                                       |NoctiluxNoct|
            *

Now there is no way to get the Noct exactly right without messing up your
other lenses like the Summicron.

The Summicron also focus shifts a little bit when you stop down 2 or 3
stops, but nowhere near as much as the Noct.  So you might get the typical
M8 "all depth of field in back of the point of focus," but things are
still usable with the Summicron. Not with the Noct.

(Fig. 4)
           |SummicronSummicronSummicronSummicron|
                                       |NoctiluxNoct|
            *

On film, the shift is less than with either lens.  The problem still
exists, but it is within tolerance for the Summicron, and still
visible (though less) for the Noct:

(Fig. 5)
    |SummicronSummicronSummicronSummicron|
                               |NoctiluxNoct|
                 *

Does this make sense?  In real life, the initial position of the RF roller
adjustment may vary, (asterisk) as may the calibration or the individual
lenses (sideways position of the "ruler" or "yardstick."

The point is that there is no absolute "perfect" point of focus.  There is
only a range of acceptable tolerances.  With the M8, those tolerances are
noticably smaller.  It also appears that in order to get some lenses to
focus correctly wide-open, the RF and lens are adjusted so that most of
the DOF is behind the point of focus (Summicron in Fig. 4), rather than
the classic 1/3:2/3 distribution most of us learned in the film era (Fig.
5).

I'm sure the folks at Leica knew all this for a long time. It's just that
in the film era, most of us didn't notice.  The M8, with its instant
feedback and stricter requirements, opened our eyes.  The confusion exists
because the above is not intuitive--most of us thing as focus as being
either correct or not, and we don't think about focus shift.  The
situation has been made worse by quality control problems, used lenses
that were out of adjustment, and perhaps by Leica initially adjusting
lenses to a standard that was viable for film but insufficient for the M8.

I don't understand if or how focus shift also varies with respect to
subject distance. No one I've ever asked seems to understand it, either.
Sometimes DOF seems to cover focus shift at longer distances. Some people
have observed that focus shift is always the same amount of offset "twist"
from what the RF tells us, so it may be in proportion to the subject
distance, ie. linear with respect to the focus cam.  This may break down
at sufficiently large stops or long focal lengths.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs M8)