Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Jena 5cm 2.8 Tessar in Leica Mount
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Apr 21 15:09:00 2008

At 04:23 PM 4/21/2008, Raid Amin wrote:
 >Please advise me how rare a CZJ Tessar lens is in LTM. Is it a lens that
 >was never produced by Zeiss in Leica mount or did Zeiss produce a few
 >such lenses? How likely is it to run into such a lens if it is produced
 >by Zeiss?

If you have one or know of such, I would
appreciate the serial number for the Zeiss Lens
List and confirmation that it is coated. (the red T is the giveaway).

During the Second World War, the German optical
guru, Heinz K?ppenbender, ordered Leitz to cease
regular production of camera lenses.  It was
necessary to sell Leica cameras in Sweden to pay
a part of the hefty charge for steel and
ball-bearings levied by the Swedes, so a portion
of Carl Zeiss Jena Contax RF BM production was
converted to LTM for sale in Sweden.  The most
common of these are the 1.5/5cm and 2/5cm
collapsible Sonnar, the 2/8.5cm Sonnar, and the
2.8/3.5cm Biogon.  The 2.8/5cm Tessar is neiter
common nor rare, and a number are known to exist,
though this is not as common as the 5cm Sonnars.

There are also a number of one-off conversions as
well by private machinists in the immediate Post-War years.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from ramin at uwf.edu (Raid Amin) ([Leica] Zeiss Jena 5cm 2.8 Tessar in Leica Mount)