Subject: [Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs. M8
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Apr 21 17:55:45 2008

Every camera lens you can buy is loaded with abberrations, even the 50/1.4
and 75/2 asphs from Leica which are probably among the best you can
currently buy.  Some abberrations are more obvious than others.  As Henning
noted, perfection is a long way off.

Focus shift is important in all optical systems where spherical abberrations
are the main limiting factor for resoltuion.  This is the case for the
Noctilux.  At going from f1 to f2 the Noctilux focus shifts 74 microns
closer than the gain in depth of field.  Between f2 and f5.6 the shift is
120 microns greater than depth of field.  This is enough to visibly lower
contrast in enlarged prints due to slight softening.  Resolution is harder
to assess, but Erwin makes it clear that it was visible on the test bench.

I've always been sceptical about Erwin Puts' independance.  Leica has his
'Leica M lenses - their Soul and Secrets' (a stupid title if ever there was
one) on their website (for example, on the Noctilux page
http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/lenses/2182.html click
'Know-how' to open the .pdf).  This document mentions nothing of focus
shift, only describing the imaging characteristics of the Noctilux when
stopped down with reference to the figures from his website with adjusted
focus.  No mention of focus shift.  That smells like advertising to me.

If Leica design and build a 50/0.95, they have much better technology
available to them than they did in the 1970s when the 50/1 was designed.
They can include one or more aspheres more easily and can include a floating
element.  These will assist in managing focus shift by limiting spherical
abberration.  I cannot, however, imagine how they can build such a beast
without it being even heavier than the Nocti, unless they lighten the
barrel.  The prospect of such a lens is pretty exciting, even if the
additional speed is only minimal.  A full stop to f0.7 would be
unmanageable, for any number of reasons - can you imagine the size of such a
thing?

Most of the shots in my Russia gallery (URL below) were shot with the
Noctilux; one notable exception being the photo of the guy sitting near the
boats (St P XXXV) on the eighth page; the loss of contrast in the upper
third of the photo is definitely from flare that was characteristic of my
former 50/2 Summicron, which did this often.  I enjoy the Noctilux
immensely, but its limitations are real.  Mine doesn't focus very well on my
M8 at all, but it's fantastic on my film Ms.

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Noctilux DOF Film vs. M8)