Subject: [Leica] Auto HDR -- is nobody paying attention?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Apr 24 17:11:31 2008

At 6:45 PM -0500 4/24/08, Ken Carney wrote:
>I can usually get an HDR image with a three-shot auto bracket burst, even
>hand-held if I don't have or want the tripod -- assuming nothing is moving
>in the scene, of course.  Sometimes I can improve an image by opening the
>single raw file at, say, -1, 0 and +1 EV and blending.  Photomatix Pro is
>good for this, if used with a light touch.
>
>Here is one made from a single raw file in Photomatix:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/mcloud.jpg.html
>
>And one made from three files, hand-held:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/mosque.jpg.html
>
>Kyle's idea sounds easier.
>
>Ken

A +3 & -3 exposure produced near instantaneously while the mirror is
up and the shutter is open would work wonders. Instead of an 8 or 9
stop dynamic range you could have a 14 or 15 stop range. The shutter
would just be a capping device, and the exposures produced by the
same means as those of P&S cameras. The camera could tag the two
exposures appropriately, and software on your computer or in camera
could then integrate the two exposures. Again, this would work for
moving subjects in bright light.

Useful HDR. Most images don't need it, but it could sure help some.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design