Subject: [Leica] noctilux factoid of the day
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Apr 25 11:24:11 2008

At 5:05 AM -0700 4/25/08, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Good point......  Not so sure about the use of adding machines in
>engineering circles......Persona;;y I never saw them used in that
>environment, nor my Dad... who was a Civil Engineer starting in 1941.
>
>I think that adding machines again were an accounting issue, not an
>engineering issue..... but I am not sure

In the early and mid sixties when I was studying physics in
University we used a lot of the mechanical calculators (essentially
sequential adding machines which produced the functions of
multiplication and division). If you needed more accuracy than 3
digits you used those, or log tables, which got you a couple more
digits.

The problem with computers at the University in the early 60's was
that you wrote your program, produced your stack of punch cards, took
them to the computing department, left therm overnight, and came back
in the morning to a pile of paper that represented the unresolved
loop you accidently wrote into your progaram. Debug, and do the whole
thing again. It could easily take a week to produce a single
functional short program. With a slide rule and mechanical calculator
you were usually way ahead.

The first Noctilux, the f/1.2 aspheric was probably designed with the
help of mechanical calculators such as the Friden, as you need the
accuracy which slide rules can't provide. The current Noctilux, the
f/1, was most likely designed (in Canada) with the help of computers.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] noctilux factoid of the day)