Subject: roar lion roar (was Re: [Leica] RE: How many M8s + Noct's!)
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu Apr 24 18:43:22 2008

i grew up across the street from columbia, my dad got his PhD there,
and taught there for 25 years.  i went to the college, business and
engineering schools.  the columbia
campus is the nicest in manhattan, and is particularly pretty in the
spring.  for those visiting new york, take the 1/9 up to 116th & broadway
and check it out.

i hope at least one of my kids goes to old columbia.  it's brand of ivy
league is less white shoe than that blend of new york brilliant and edgy.
i think the school has a quirky edge to it, reflected in literature and film.
nabokov's clare quilty is a columbia graduate, marathon man's hoffman a
neurotic columbia graduate student, spiderman's (movie) peter parker is a
young
columbia student wrestling about power and responsibility, and all the
ghostbusters were on the columbia faculty, prior to their entreprenurial
venture.  of course, columbia has one or two notable alumni, including the
recently-minted richest man in world as of Feb 2008.

most of the real-life students i'd met at columbia were very
laid back.  of the 5 ivies that are not harvard, princeton or yale,
i'd advance the proposition that columbians lament that fact the least.

our 25th reunion is in june.  but the most currently
visible alumnus of the class of 83 is too busy campaigning to swing by.
bummer.

mark, love to see some of your images.

-rei