Subject: [Leica] noctilux factoid of the day
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri Apr 25 12:25:01 2008

Frank,

Thanks for the link.  The early model, in the first photo, is similar to
what we had in the Mississippi State Aero Engineering Dept. in the late
1940s.  The one in the second photo is similar to what I used for
engineering work, which was very useful in doing stress calculations and
curvature prediction when applying precisely curved shapes to steel plates
that were almost an inch thick and were shaped by pairs of electricly
powered ball-bearing screw jacks.  The nozzle system has been in almost
daily use for fifty years, so we must have done it right.  Modern pressure
instrumentation and computational techniques have allowed some small
improvements in the critical portions of the nozzle contours, but the basic
structure is unchanged.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA