Subject: [Leica] Senior Solo
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Wed May 7 19:13:01 2008

Sonny,

Nice shot! He's a handsome lad, indeed. I'm sure he'll break some
hearts before all is said and done, if you don't mind my saying so.
To comment on some of the other posts in this thread.....

Cellos were larger in Bach's day. Most of them have had the musical
equivalent of breast reduction surgery. My cello is three hundred
years old. It proudly bears the scars from when it was cut down to a
more manageable size. Today the length of the strings is
standardized, but the size of the body isn't. When people think of a
standard cello the mental picture they usually have in is of the
Stradaveri Model B. Even the master himself experimented with various
cello sizes until he hit on dimensions he really liked. Guarneri
models are a quarter of an inch bigger across than a Strad, and
Montagnana models are much wider across the bottom than Strads,
giving them marvelous bass tones.

Up until the nineteenth century cellos were indeed played by holding
them between the calf's of your legs. Cello folk lore has it that the
end pin was invented by a famous cellist who, to but it delicately,
was too portly to hold a cello in the traditional manner. What
fascinates me is the fact that when my cello was made cellos were
used in marching bands. I have trouble imagining doing this. If you
look at the back of a cello if this vintage you will usually see a
the remains of a small hole located on the center seam. A strap was
attached to a wooden peg, and then it was then put through the hole
in the back of the cello. This was how they attached a strap so that
you could march around with it. Almost all antique string instruments
have been modified in one way or another. Cellos, Violas, and Violins
have also had the angle the fingerboard makes with the body increased
and the curve of the bridge increased. This was done to increase the
volume of the instruments as musicians moved from making their
livings playing in small chambers to playing the concert halls.

Cellists owe Bach a major debt of gratitude. Before his day the upper
and refined classes played Viols of various sizes. To this day Double
Basses still have a family resembelance to their anscestors the
Viols. They have concave shoulders, unlike the shoulders of Violins,
Violas, and Cellos which are rounded. Before Bach members of the
Violin family were held in low repute and tended to be associated
with unsavory things like the country dancing master, sex, and
alcohol! :-) In those days we ranked right up there with the court
jester! It was Bach's Suites for Solo cello which really helped the
Cello gain respectability.

People still play on gut strings. I often use them. This is a subject
of great controversy among cellists. Many people think that their
sound is superior to metal core strings. I certainly do. In olden
times cello strings were just plain raw uncovered gut gut. The C
string, the lowest in pitch on the cello, could run a quarter of an
inch in diameter. I can't imagine what that sounded like, but it must
have been pretty tubby. In Baroque days they started to wind the gut
strings with round silver wire to cover them. Today they are would
with flat wire. An unwrapped gut A string is a holy horror to play
on. Other than that gut strings are lots of fun, although they don't
stay in tune at all well.

This is probably more than anyone wants to know about the subject.

Barney